The Department of Industrial Engineering of the University of Bologna is active in research, and provides education in different fields of Engineering: Aerospace, Biomechanics, Power, Management, Mechanical, Nuclear, Technical Physics, and Metallurgy.
History of the Department, and main fields of activity
The Department of Industrial Engineering was born from the fusion of three units: the former Department of Mechanical, Nuclear and Aeronautic Constructions and Metallurgy (DIEM), the former Department of Energetic, Nuclear, and Environment Engineering (DIENCA), and the Metallurgy group of the former Department of Metal Sciences, Electro-chemistry and Technical Chemistry (SMETEC).
These are the main areas of research:
• Aeronautics and aerospace
• Applied acoustics
• Automation and robotics
• Fluid dynamics and computational thermo-fluid-dynamics
• Fluid machinery and internal combustion engines
• General and applied thermodynamics
• Industrial mechanical plants
• Machine design and construction
• Material testing and mechanics of materials
• Modelling, simulation, visualization for design
• Nuclear technologies and applications of plasmas
• Production and logistics
• Safety and environmental issues related to the design of industrial plants and processes
• Technologies and Manufacturing Systems
• Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer
Link to the Department website.